Thursday, January 21, 2010

From the smallest seed...

Spring is still a long way off, but if you want to grow tomatoes in Texas, you have to start early.  I will be starting tomato and eggplant seed tomorrow in trays.  They're spending the night in warm water to help induce germination.  They won't go in the ground until the last week of March at the earliest; early to mid April is more likely.  Hopefully, the plants will be large and hardy by then.  Otherwise, I am told that the dry heat in July and August will murder them.




As you can see, tomatoes and eggplant aren't the only vegetables on the menu.  I will also be putting some spinach and English peas in the ground outside (though the peas will probably have to wait for the weekend).  The seeds shown include (from left to right) "Space" spinach, "Fairy Tale" eggplant, "Celebrity" and "Porter" tomatoes, and "Little Marvel" English peas (in the jar).  I was going to put in a second cultivar of spinach and a third of tomato, but the seed company from which I ordered them was apparently out of stock.  I'll probably just go with one type of spinach, but I am going to have to find another tomato.  I need something indeterminate and on the large side (for burgers and sandwiches and such).  Suggestions are welcome.  I had ordered "Big Beef," a heat tolerant cross between "Beefsteak" and "Big Boy."  If I have time, I'll check a couple of the local garden stores tomorrow to see if any of them have what I want.

Check back soon for the sequel.

No comments: